Monday, July 31, 2006

I can cook once again!


Let me preface this by stating that Conrad IS taking VERY good care of me, but I am getting better. He did not ask me to cook dinner - I just went ahead and did it. Took the practice in to the team, made it through announcements, then came back home and got my kitchen ya-yas on.

Conrad, I should add, must modify his diet further. Not content with removing a lot of cholesterol from his diet, he must now watch carbs and fat in order to avoid diabetes. The fun really never does stop in our house. You can well imagine how all this is going down with me, Mister 12-Pounds-of-Unsalted-Butter-in-the-Freezer. I'll modify my eating as well - what can it hurt? - but gosh will I miss some of the baking I could be doing....

Tonight's dinner (a dinner for eating indoors while temperatures soar above 90 outside):

Poached boneless, skinless chicken breast, served sliced atop a simple Israeli couscous salad, surrounded by quickly cooked asparagus. The poaching liquid was composed of water, dried lemon and orange zest, bay leaves, a sprig of rosemary, black peppercorns, and a few cloves of garlic chopped. The couscous was mixed with chopped parsley, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper.

Why yes, we are a little skimpy on groceries here!

3 comments:

Stunned Donor said...

Do they have grocery delivery in Chicago like they do in New York?

Peter said...

Peapod thrives here if the vans I se are any indication. I tried WebVan (was that what it was called?) a few times, but wasn't entirely happy with the meat and produce. I just need to get to a store with Conrad one day soon!

Peter said...

Oh, I'm down to my last 3 or 4 pounds myself, Jeph. It's Christmastime when I start stocking up.

I would post the couscous salad recipe, but there really is none. Cook up the couscous and cool it. Toss with chopped flat-leaf parsley and a dressing made of lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, and olive oil. That's it.