Friday, November 20, 2009

autumn? really?

Chicago defies my expectations this year. A summer that was hardly a summer (I think my hometown in northern Canada recorded a hotter spell this year than Chicago did) and now an autumn that isn't exactly autumnal.

When I think autumn, I think crisp days when I can wear all the sweaters I love. Well, not all of them at once, but you get the idea. In any case, last Saturday, the weather, if anything improved on the already mild weeks we'd had. Temperatures in the mid-teens. I'm surprised we didn't see many flowers fooled into blooming again. We couldn't resist, therefore, hopping out of the cab down to the Art Institute a little short of our destination and instead wandering through Millennium Park, taking photos of the park and the city around.














Oh, look, autumn colours. Well, THAT settles it.

Things got gloomier later, admittedly. Not terribly cooler, no, just gloomy. We had wandered north on Michigan Avenue after lunch, and when we made our way out of Nordstrom with back in hand, we noted that it threatened rain. We made it home dry, no worries, and the gloom that had settled in didn't bring us down from the wonderful day it had been. But really, Chicago, might we see a frost soon at least?

No comments: