Sunday, September 12, 2010

braised chicken thighs

I haven't felt or some time like I've really got into the kitchen a made things. Oh sure, there were Scones for Smelts this morning, and cookies for TK before I went off to Hawai'i. And yes, I did make a couple of dinners last week, but those were when I was still catching up on my real life, and the effort that went into them was basic at best. So it was that tonight I wanted not only to stay in, but also to make us a good meal.

I think I managed that.

I picked up skin on chicken thighs earlier today along with an assortment of potential vegetables. In truth, I sort of already had a direction mapped out in my mind, though, and I didn't diverge from it much. Mid -afternoon, I set to work.

The thighs I browned lightly on each side in some oil in a skillet, then took the skin off (I saute them with the skin on to render off a bit of fat, but also to protect the meat itself) and set them aside.

I drained off almost all of the fat in the skillet, then added in a mix of carrots, smashed garlic cloves, dried porcini, and sliced onion. All that was seasoned with some salt, pepper, and thyme. After sauteeing the mixture a bit, I deglazed the pan with white wine. Brought that to a boil, then added chicken broth. Brought that up to a boil, and poured it over and around the thighs in a roasting pan. I covered the pan and put it into a low (325) oven for almost two hours.

While the chicken cooked, I gently sauteed chopped cauliflower, chopped red pepper, a bit of onion and smashed garlic cloves, salt, pepper, and saffron. After letting it take on some goldenness, I added chicken broth to the pan and left it all to simmer a good long while. Once tender, it all went into a food processor for buzzing up. I passed the result through a strainer and was left with a nice, golden orange puree.

The beans I trimmed simply. Close to serving time I popped them into a steaming tray above water on a low boil.

Once the chicken was cooked, I removed it from the liquid to keep warm. I strained the liquid, then poured it into a pan and turned the heat up high. Then it was a matter of letting it reduce down to a sauce. Given a bit more time, I would have tried de-fatting the liquid, I admit.

As Conrad set us up outside, I warmed up plates. Into the centre went the puree (reheated). The beans atop that and to the side, and then two thighs each atop that. Over each thigh I let flow a large spoonful of the glaze.



All in all, a meal I was pleased with. The chicken didn't dry out in the braising process, and the meat came off the bones so easily. The flavours worked well, and it all sat with the bottle of Laughing Stock Blind Trust well enough. Add in a bit of a sunset show out on the balcony, and we had the makings of a nice little dinner date on the balcony.



And Conrad, having just come up from the treadmill, wolfed it down, as great a compliment as I could ever want!

No comments: