No, there is no single Canadian accent just as there is no single American accent. Correspondingly, we use different vocabulary from Americans at times, and we also use different vocabulary depending on the part of the country we're from.
Okay, I'm not a linguist. Others have done studies, and the results likely contradict what I think. Still, there are words or expressions in use in one part of Canada and not in others. My favourite?

That was a sign in the Renaissance Hotel in Vancouver. Conrad is used to such oddities now. It's one term only, but it's a useful one for picking the BCers out of a crowd. Allison and I have had fun discussing some of them in e-mail.
A few years back the oral surgeon I went to see for my wisdom teeth managed to pick me out as a BCer based upon my pronunciation of "again", which I thought an impressive feat.
2 comments:
Peter, how do BCer's pronounce "again". Is the emphasis on "gain". You would pronounce the word as a-gain.
Not only that, but we would pronounce it with the second syllable as "gain", not as "gen" or however they say it here.
Post a Comment