Because what else would I do on a gorgeously sunny weekend in Chicago but stay inside the house and bake!No, really, there is good reason: Kenn and Cliff have invited us to dinner tonight, and we were asked to bring dessert. Conrad can, I admit, work wonders with boneless chicken breasts and cream of mushroom soup, but I am not sure I want him to tackle dessert without his Mom co-baking. Over to me, then.
Helen used to make this on occasion at the restaurant, but I've never tried the recipe. The rhubarb meringue custard pie comes from a cookbook by Karen Barnaby of the Fish House in Stanley Park. Nice restaurant, and I do like her books. Not-so-secretly, I utterly love this one for its cover alone, but there are some good recipes in it.
I did the whole thing her way, pretty much. I used her pastry recipe even, which was fine though not the same as my own.



Conrad was a little fascinated by the whole process of working with pastry. I have to admit, I'm still a bit haphazard about the whole process. Mine is usually good enough, and it took me a lot more practice than I care to admit to get to "good enough"!



The pie smelled lovely once it was out of the oven. I hope it turns out fine. Rhubarb just struck me as such a perfect spring thing to use for dessert. Yes, those are jam tartlets in the background - what better use to put leftover dough to? You surely know I'd munch on all the raw dough otherwise!

The pie juest came out of its second bake a short time ago. I should say that the second bake - kind of obviously - is to toast the meringue and nothing more. I think it looks decent enough for dinner (though the crust is a little speckly brown - from the butter?). I kind of hope that everyone assumes it's a lemon pie and enjoys the surprise of the rhubarb custard filling!
4 comments:
Yum, yum!
I picked up two bottles of wine today, Peter. A nice Iced Raspberry from Hernder Estates, and a Riesling, Off-Dry Reserve, from Henry of Pelham. I was at a friend's wedding this weekend in the Niagara region so we went wine-tasting afterwards.
Wine tasting? Fun way to spend your birthday, even if you didn't have a wedding to go to. Was the weather good for the occasion?
The weather on Saturday wasn't great (bits of rain here and there - wedding pics were taken inside) but the weather on Sunday was great! Not too hot yet loads of sunshine :) Perfect weather for visiting wineries.
The jam gets all bubbly and liquid while baking, but it firms up once it's cooled off. Otherwise, yes, I simply cut out pastry rounds, line the muffin tins, and go.
The pie crust wasn't as pretty as I'd like, but it was serviceable. But thanks!
And yes, threadless for the shirt. Take a bow for corrupting me!
Post a Comment