Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Sherri cooks

Actually, Sherri's sister Amrit did most of the cooking. Sherri hosted and did some cooking - multi-tasking!

Conrad and I have a rule: if someone takes the time to cook for us, that is a priority social engagement. Even if we're feeling totally run down and only want to hole up at home, the promise of home cooked food gets us out. Based on that, we were only too glad to show up at Sherri's direct from the airport on our way home from Salmon Arm.

Ah, Facebook. I used to mock it, now I'm bound to it. I use it so much, and it has rewarded me with renewed friendships with people from my past. I knew Sherri way back in the day in Terrace, but hadn't heard from her in years. Now, thanks to Facebook, we're in touch again, and I've had the pleasure of dining out with her in Vancouver and cooking for her here. A few nights ago she returned the favour. Mostly it was her sister Amrit cooking the (forgive spelling errors on these) pork and beef keema, dal, saag paneer, and cumin-scented rice. I can't recall the name of the dessert, but she made that, too, using vermicelli, milk, some pistachios.

How was it? Fantastic! I'm a fan of Mexican food most of all, but I dearly love Indian foods of all sorts, and to watch it being made and enjoy the company (including Amrit's husband Raj and their daughter) and then the food itself (oh, plus a jolly good amount of wine) was a rare treat.

In short, we'll be making sure to keep Sherri well-entertained at our place and elsewhere in hopes of another such evening. A fun night from start to finish, and Conrad and I were in excellent spirits when we left.

3 comments:

the ginger tabby said...

Mmm...homemade Indian food...it doesn't get better than that! :)

Peter said...

Generally speaking, any food home-cooked for us is the ultimate dining!

:-)

Peter said...

Smarty pants - it didn't have rice in it though.