Friday, April 17, 2009

bones

Another in the short series of blog entries about odd foods I like.

We went with John and Bryan to Bistro Campagne today, a nice French restaurant up in the Lincoln Square neighbourhood. Good to catch up with them.

Dinner was quite enjoyable, of course. Good company, and the restaurant does its food well. My main course was whitefish with a sauce made from ramps. The Vouvray was tasty, too. The highlight? This.



Bones.

Roasted marrow bones.

It's one of those things that's a little more interesting to eat than it is good, but it is good. Rich. A little overwhelming. Like a meaty blend of jello and butter served hot. Smushed onto toast and sprinkled with coarse salt, it made for quite an appetizer. I felt a little greasy when I was done, and certainly it would have been good to share.

The shirt, by the way, is one I bought on sale in Auckland. I'm rather delighted by it, as you can tell!

;-)


1 comment:

cg said...

i like the vanity tag. ha!

also, re: bones, did i already tell you about the cookbook by Jennifer Mclagan on that topic? i quite liked it, and no this is not an effort at shameless self-promotion but you can see my (middling) review in the editorial tab: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Bones/Jennifer-McLagan/e/9780060585372/

you can borrow my copy to peruse anytime. if you're tempted.