Saturday, April 18, 2009

quiet night in: salmon


Conrad heads off to Honolulu bright and early in the morning, and even before he leaves I'll be heading to the pool to coach my teammates as best I can on the last day of the State Masters Meet. In light of that, we've had a quiet night in tonight (so why am I blogging? Good question) with a nice dinner in the living room and some good conversation.

Spring means morels, doesn't it? I saw that CG had mentioned them recently on Facebook (or was it Twitter), but they weren't entirely on my min until I saw them at the grocery this morning. How perfect for a dinner of salmon. Not cheap, but worthwhile.

Conrad and I ended up with an enjoyable dinner - despite how rusty I feel in the kitchen - of pan-seared sockeye salmon with asparagus and a sauce of fresh morels sauteed in a generous amount of butter. With the meal we opened one of the treasured bottles of wine from our recent NZ vacation (that I have to blog more about). In fact, it was the first bottle we bought, and the first wine we had while in the country, a Valli Pinot Noir. Redolent of raspberries and strawberries with a not-unappealing inkiness.

I'll miss him while he's gone, but I'm very glad we've stolen a quiet evening at home together.

No comments: