Now then, before any Green Bayites flood my comments, let me state that my experience of the city has overwhelmingly been fleeting, stopping for coffee, barely seeing anything, passing through downtown to and from The UP and usually at times when the downtown is utterly dead. Hardly fair. But, that's what has shaped my impressions, and I'm happy that there is dining like at Hinterland Brewery to totally knock my notions down.

It's likely somewhere farther back on my blog, our first visit to Hinterland. A chance encounter, thanks in part to Opentable.com (are you using it yet? no? why not???). We liked it. We liked it again for a proper meal earlier this year. And a week ago we stopped in again.
I've said this elsewhere and before, but I love to see a menu where I am so torn because so many things jump out at me. I prevailed on Conrad to share small plates, and as a result, we had a good sampling of things.
Alas, it was a very dim room, and we had only the flashless iPhone for photos. As a result, you will never see how lovely and delicious our salads were, or how impressively crammed with crabmeat the crab cake was (and we loved the habanero aioli - ZING!). I did get a shot of the beef and mushroom meatballs,

though, as well as the plate of (mostly, I think) local cheeses.

Conrad
was driving the rest of the way, so he had water. I had a glass of a richly fragrant wine whose name now escapes me. A Spanish Garnacha, though.A good place. It's in a perfect spot to break up the drive up north, and we think that when we next head up there, on a likely snowy December weekend, we will stay in town so we can have a proper meal without driving the next day.
No comments:
Post a Comment