CG and Dan came for dinner last night, and I busted out a recipe I always loved from the Don Diego's days: Torta Rustica.
It's from Evan Kleiman's Pizza Pasta Panini cookbook, and though there are many components, it makes for a satisfying, simple meal. I was able to get components made on Thursday and Friday evenings, and then put it together and baked it Saturday.I hope CG and Dan liked it, but ultimately, I'm really pleased with it. Bonus: I have leftovers for lunches and dinners. Yum!
All in all, I was pleased with yesterday. After we had nuts, cheese, apple chutney, bread, and some Éphémère beer, we sat down to a fennel and potato soup and a bottle of Mt. Difficulty Riesling. Next came the torta along with a very simple salad and a bottle of the delicious Church and State Merlot we'd tasted last month.

I didn't photograph most of dinner, sorry. I should have. The dessert was really good, too (yes, yes, I'm bragging) (OK, I'll humble myself and admit it cooked have baked a wee bit longer). I made us individual plum souffles with a homemade cardamom ice cream. Friends, I more than rock. Once in a while, I kick serious butt.
;-)
We had an Inniskillin sparkling ice wine with dessert, and then moved back to the living room where an Oliver Merlot and some cheese that was so rich it really should have been labeled "butter" awaited us.
Surprisingly, we weren't hungover today. I did, however, decide that I didn't really need breakfast!
No comments:
Post a Comment