Friday, November 20, 2009

Tuesday: hen

Two small dinner parties on back to back midweek evenings this week has me utterly knackered. The night after the second of those dinners, I put a bunch of veg with some chicken sausage into a parchment and foil package and baked it until it was fragrant. No mess to deal with after. Easy.

But guests deserve far better, and I hope I delivered. Tuesday night was dinner with CG in the kitchen, and through a bottle of a sparkling rose and a couple of bottles of Pinot Noir, we had ourselves a lovely evening catching up with her.

I had been able to work at home Tuesday, which gave me an opportunity to start a key part of dinner prep early: brining the Cornish game hens. It's a good technique for birds, though I've learned to reduce the salt in the brine recipe considerably (by half). A nice long while in the oven, basted at intervals with butter, and we had ourselves a tasty plate each.



Of course, we had to play with iPhone cameras before dining...

1 comment:

Sharon Andy Holderman said...

Is it worth the effort of making them? My sister says making the cornish game hens seem like too much hassle for not enough meat unless you want to look fancy?