As 2009 winds down, she has challenged me, and I have challenged her in turn, to come up with our top 100 tracks of the decade. Tough job to do. If I look at the music I played most, well, Kate Bush's Aerial and Patricia Barber's Mythologies would eat up a quarter of the list between them. And that, friends, is unacceptable – there are just too many fun one-off singles to accommodate as well as terrific album tracks. Funnily enough, however, there are two Kate Bush cover versions on the list.
A painful process. I cut out many many many songs I liked a lot then a still like a lot now. Heck, the "short list" was 303 songs, so you can imagine the difficulty I had to get to 100.
I think I counted right. We'll see. I've divided them up year by year (according to iTunes/Wikipedia – yes, I know that Moving by Supergrass came out in 1999 in the UK, but not until 2000 in North America). Within each year, they are alphabetical. Enjoy, and if you will, I hope you find something new.
2000
- Lovely Head. Goldfrapp
- Moving. Supergrass
- Once Around The Block. Badly Drawn Boy
- Trouble. Coldplay
2001
- Alcoholic. Starsailor
- Brûlé la mèche. Lo'Jo
- Can't Get You Out Of My Head. Kylie Minogue
- Clint Eastwood. Gorillaz
- Crystal. New Order
- Family Affair. Mary J. Blige
- Have A Nice Day. Stereophonics
- Pagan Poetry. Björk
- Shining Light. Ash
- We Come 1. Faithless
2002
- A Sorta Fairytale. Tori Amos
- Action. Saint Etienne
- All The Things She Said. t.A.T.u.
- Cartwheels. The Reindeer Section
- Do You Realize??. The Flaming Lips
- Groove Jet (If This Ain't Love) [Ultimix Remix]. DJ Spiller
- Running Up That Hill. Kiki & Herb
- Silent Sigh. Badly Drawn Boy
- The Rhythm Thief. Sparks
- Being Nobody. Richard X vs Liberty X
- Black Is the Color of My True Love's Hair (Jaffa Remix). Nina Simone & Jaffa
- Comfortably Numb. Scissor Sisters
- Emerge. Fischerspooner
- Hey Ya!. Outkast
- Milkshake (Radio Edit). Kelis
- Re-Offender. Travis
- Strict Machine. Goldfrapp
- The District Sleeps Alone Tonight. The Postal Service
- The Hardest Button to Button. The White Stripes
2004
- 1980 (Radio Edit). Estelle
- Alone Again Or. Calexico
- Can't Stand Me Now. The Libertines
- Collide. Howie Day
- Crabbuckit. K-Os
- Desired Constellation. Björk
- Hounds of Love (New Mix). The Futureheads
- Irish Blood, English Heart. Morrissey
- L.S.F (Lost Souls Forever). Kasabian
- Neighborhood #3 (Power Out). The Arcade Fire
- No Heaven. Champion
- Shining. Kristian Leontiou
- Sick & Tired. Anastacia
- Simplesmente. Bebel Gilberto
- Take Me Out. Franz Ferdinand
2005
- 88 aka Come Down On Me. Lemon Jelly
- Avalon . Juliet
- Black Horse and the Cherry Tree (Radio Version). KT Tunstall
- Feel Good Inc. Gorillaz
- From Paris to Berlin (Radio Edit). Infernal
- Hung Up. Madonna
- Mrs. Bartolozzi. Kate Bush
- Nocturn. Kate Bush
- On My Way To Town. Nana Mouskouri (song is in English, video is in Greek)
- One Evening. Feist
- Secret Someones. Laura Veirs
- Sunset. Kate Bush
- When the Day Is Short. Martha Wainwright
- You Are My Sister. Antony & The Johnsons
2006
- Crazy. Gnarls Barkley
- Herculean. The Good, the Bad and the Queen
- Icarus. Patricia Barber
- Irreplaceable. Beyoncé
- New Day. Kate Havnevik
- Say It Right. Nelly Furtado
- Set the Fire to the Third Bar. Snow Patrol & Martha Wainwright
- The Hours. Patricia Barber
- Tonight and the Rest of My Life. Nina Gordon
- Travelin' Thru. Dolly Parton
- Young Folks (Featuring Victoria Bergsman). Peter, Bjorn and John & Victoria Bergsman
2007
- D.A.N.C.E.. Justice
- Don't Stop the Music. Rihanna
- Grace Kelly. MIKA
- Kids. MGMT
- Uninvited (Radio Edit Remix). Freemasons
2008
- American Boy (feat. Kanye West). Estelle
- Black & Gold (Marcussen Album Version). Sam Sparro
- Blind. Hercules and Love Affair
- Collapsing at Your Doorstep. Air France
- Hercules Theme. Hercules And Love Affair
- Hometown Glory (Radio Edit). ADELE
- I Decided (Freemasons Radio). Solange
- Money Note. Camille
- Paris Is Burning. Ladyhawke
- Shut Up and Let Me Go. The Ting Tings
- Spiralling (Radio Edit). Keane
- The Rip. Portishead
- Viva la Vida. Coldplay
- White Winter Hymnal. Fleet Foxes
- Winter Song. Sara Bareilles
2009
- I'm Not Alone (Deadmau5 Mix). Calvin Harris
- Papillon. Editors
- Rabbit Heart (Raise It Up). Florence + The Machine
- Robots. Dan Mangan
- The Fear. Lily Allen
- The Girl and the Robot. Röyksopp
- We Are the People. Empire of the Sun
No comments:
Post a Comment