Thursday, March 03, 2011

about cooking and eating

So here I sit on a Thursday evening. I've had a simple dinner. Well, I think it's simple. Not photo-worthy. Never mind what it was. Conrad returns late tomorrow night, and I'm in an oddly reflective mood.

I have an interesting relationship with food, with eating. It's not hidden that I was once much bigger. Much much bigger. No, I won't post the photos from those days, nor will I tell you how much I weighed then. Imagine me now with a Soviet Bloc gymnast or figure skater added to my body and that will give you an idea of it. So I approach food both hungrily and greedily as well as cautiously. Ever wonder why I bake so much yet share it outwardly with friends and others? To satisfy the urge to cook, to be with the food and yet maintain a reasonable weight. The deal I've had to make with myself.

That sounds alarming, as if I don't eat. Readers of this blog over the years will know that oh yes, I eat and relish in it. When I lived in my hometown years ago, though, and went from a fat guy just out of undergrad to my mid-twenties and many pounds lighter, I would get occasional inquiries.

Are you sick?
Are you eating?

The implications were clear, or what I read into them was clear to me. No, I had no wasting disease of any sort. Yes, I was eating. Eating disorders were not my route to losing weight (much as Ruth, bless her, frets over my nutrition bar lunches - that's not starving myself, that's expediency).

But it does require vigilance. And I'll tell you this - and ask you to indulge and even forgive me: once fat, always fat. You never lose that mindset, that mental image.

Is it irony or cosmic black humour that I spent several years cooking professionally, that I currently review cookbooks and bake scones for teammates and dine at some of Chicago's finest restaurants with Conrad?

Ah well. As I said, a reflective mood tonight. I genuinely feel good about myself, and while I've been eating lazily (not poorly) while Conrad is out of town for work, I still can muster up a half-decent plate of food from time to time. Salmon last weekend when Frank came to dinner. The wheels in my head are spinning planning a dinner of ribs for Brian and Daniel this weekend. My peculiar relationship to cooking and eating lives on, and maybe, just maybe, it's working for me.

2 comments:

Joe said...

Peter - I have the same sort of background. I don't know how heavy you were, but 10 to 12 years ago I was about 70 pounds heavier than I am now. Your post really resonated with me!

I often get questions like "Really? There's no way you eat." "Have you been to the doctor to be tested?" Or, my favorite, "How come you don't weigh 300 pounds?"

Peter said...

Joe, I still get occasional questions, too. It was also a bit disconcerting to go back to my hometown three years ago for my 20th high school reunion and have a few people (who had seen me since I had lost most or all of the excess weight) express surprise that I wasn't heavy any more.

But thank you for sharing in return. My own weight loss was in the neighbourhood of yours, so I think you very much understand.