Wednesday, March 09, 2011

two midweek dinners

I don't think I've made anything really great lately. Some things that have been decent, reasonable, adequate. A bit of a rut with cooking? Ah well - Conrad and I are hardly going to bed hungry at night.

Yesterday was, of course, Pancake Tuesday. Yes, right, Mardi Gras. Whatever. King Cake wasn't my family's tradition, no. Pancakes for dinner on Shrove Tuesday was the custom. So it was I set to work on crepe batter and filling when I got home. Ultimately I turned out a pleasant and filling but unexceptional meal.



Some cauliflower, some onion, some bacon - all sauteed together, then some red chard mixed in. I filled the crepes with that mixture and some Robusto cheese. A bit of green veg, and Bob's your uncle: dinner.

I joked tonight that I was tempted to keep the chicken in the fridge and order in sushi. In fact, I was sorely tempted. Just not in the mood for chicken tonight, and that may be why it was a bit of an indifferent meal. I marinated the pieces in sherry and olive oil with some salt, pepper, garlic, and saffron. I then baked the pieces and served them with some of the super-delicious cumin-stewed lentils from Monday night (even if I'm less than satisfied with my cooking, the source recipe in a John Bishop cookbook is reliably good)(and Whoa! Amazon has a category of Canadian regional cookbooks? Awesome. Rebar is most popular? Cool!) and a few Brussels sprouts. The lentils saved the dish - it was alright, nothing spectacular, but I think I plated somewhat appealingly.

Oh, I know, I'm my own worst critic. Truly, though, most of what I cook and we eat at home is pretty basic, pretty simple. But one day I'll try a few new things, and we'll have some real fun at the dinner table again.

No comments: