Tuesday, February 18, 2025

Grammys cocktails


No, not cocktails for drinking during the Grammys - the awards were what, two weeks ago now?  No, instead it was simply our theme this month for online cocktails.  Drinks that somehow evoked the Grammys.  Combine that with a holiday Monday for me, and there we were:  an opportunity to try making some drinks ahead of time to pick what I would make for us during happy hour.  So here they are, ranked from my least to most favourite:

The Birds of a Feather. 


Great song, weirdly flavourless drink considering that it had pineapple juice and Aperol in it.  It just tasted watery and washed out.  I had high hopes for this one.  Sadly, unfulfilled.

The Blue Sun. 


Not quite the name of Andre 3000's nominated album, but close enough.  A variation on a margarita that used blue curacao in place of a clear orange liqueur.  It was ok, but only just.  It didn't taste balanced.  The colour was fun, though.

The Pink Pony Club. 


A boozy sangria, kind of.  Passion fruit syrup for depth of flavour, gin for booze, but it tasted more like a fruity rose sangria than anything.  Which isn't a terrible thing!

The Benson Flip. 


Not a particular fan of Benson Boone, but I was impressed by his performance.  And by this drink.  It's a rich one:  a whole egg and whipping cream in there, along with rum and chocolate liqueur and coffee beans.  I'd go back to this one, but as a dessert drink.

The Short and Sweet. 


Sabrina Carpenter wins this one for us.  A limoncello spritz, it had some lemon juice to cut through a little, and a nice, light sweetness.  The fresh mint actually made a difference here, too, I think.  I made this for the three of us, and we enjoyed a great conversation with the others.

No comments: