A week and a half ago, early on a Saturday morning, I found myself on a plane at LAX, heading to Chicago
where, after some lounge time, I boarded a second flight to Toronto.
A long (and kind of pricey) cab ride into the city (but the driver was very good conversation, a lovely man) and I was at my hotel, the Hyatt Regency on King Street.
I'd had a long day with mostly lounge and airplane food to eat at, well, odd times, and though I wasn't super hungry, I did want a late dinner, so I headed to the hotel bar for a bite and drink. That turned into a long while with a Floridian named Amy sitting next to me, chatting to me.
No, not hitting on me - her husband was at the other end of the bar - and yes, she was rather tipsy. But she was friendly, and I enjoyed the chat. Sometimes that's the fun part of being at a bar.
I slept in the next morning. And by sleep in, I mean 7:00-7:30 range. Not bad for me. I grabbed a decaf latte at the Starbucks on the ground floor of the hotel,
then wandered out for a walk in the city.
How funny that we were at the corner of King and Peter!
Apt? Sure, why not? I wandered through fairly quiet streets over to the city hall area, taking photos as I went.
Then it was time to get back to the hotel
- Allison was due to meet me to go for brunch, and I needed to get ready.
Brunch was over in the Distillery District, at a place called El Catrin Destileria. We met up with Allison's friends Jen and Greg whom I don't think I'd seen in the more than 15 years since Allison's wedding. Oh, and their cute little dog, as well. The tacos I had were decent,
but it was nice to sit out on the patio on a fine day and catch up more than anything.
The afternoon after that passed simply: Allison and I headed to the Oasis pop-up store, chatted a bit with the folks in line with us, and spent two hours waiting to get into the store. In fact, Allison had to head home before I got in the door as her daughter was due home. I did get in eventually, though, and bought a football jersey to wear to the concert.
And then, friends, it was the concert evening, though not before Allison and I had pizza with her daughter. The night ended late for such an early morning ahead.
Before I knew it, it was onto the first of two flights the next day - connecting through Denver this time - sporting the other Oasis shirt I bought.
A sixty hour trip in total, from home to back home. Wow! I'm not sure what will next bring me to Toronto and when, but I'm glad I at least had a nice little glimpse of it outside of the concert.































No comments:
Post a Comment