Sunday, May 13, 2007

baby back ribs

I can't recall if it was something Yoshi once told us or if it was something I read in a book (and if so, I think it may have been Turning the Tables). Basically put, pork does not sell in restaurants. It's a real shame, in my opinion. But then, I'm rather partial to pork. And veal. And liver. And lamb. And....

I'd like to cook pork more often, but that I don't makes it feel more special when I do. Add in the good company of Kim and FXK, some lovely Cabs, and we had the makings of a good dinner around the kitchen peninsula. Baby back ribs glazed with a sauce made from pomegranate molasses, tomato, and a few other things. Broccoli rabe and a cous cous and black bean salad on the side. That lovely fregolatta with cheeses for desserts. We are all well fed and satisfied. Beats the heck out of fighting the Mother's Day crowds at restaurants!





I should point out that Conrad has a tendency to take photos of me in action and I HATE IT!

LOL

4 comments:

the ginger tabby said...

Baby back ribs are Y-U-M-M-Y!! There are a couple of ribfests in TO and I often go to them in the summertime...mmm!!

Peter said...

I agree, Brenda, they are absolutely yummy!

And thanks Jeph. Now go back to your Fat One fantasies. At first I thought you'd typed "straddled", and somehow it seemed appropriate with you.

:-P

Scott said...

I actually came here to tell you Coach Brad gave what is a traditional end-of-the-short-course-season workout for my swim club which I thought was excellent. You might want to look at it. But while I'm here I must say your ribs do look tasty. I use a sauce based on citrus which I really like not only on pork but chicken. Here in Vancouver we also enjoy Salt Spring lamb when in season, Alberta grain fed Angus tenderloins and standing ribs (when I can convince relatives to bring it with them), lots of curries, pork roasts, several made dishes, all the seafood you can handle, and in past years several turkeys (not just for Thanksgiving and Christmas in my family anymore).

Peter said...

Scott, thanks for the tip on teh practice (I'm totally stealing that set for tonight!) and the compliments on the ribs!