Sunday, August 26, 2007

Montréal morning

The photos in this entry won't show how the skies over Dorval (sorry, Pierre Elliott Trudeau) Airport are offering patches of welcome blue and that the temperatures outside are pleasant and warm - very comfortable. Ah well. We're parked in a lounge at the airport, catching up on the Internet and sipping wine.

Conrad and I stayed two nights out at an airport hotel for ease in getting to and from Rémi and Ève’s wedding. Happily, the timing of our flight this afternoon meant that we had time to take the rental car into the city, have breakfast, stroll a little, and get to the airport well in time. I hadn't been in the city since 2004, so I was glad to have at least that modest opportunity.

Allison will be pleased. Conrad and I had breakfast sitting at a window table at Café République. She and I (and other friends) have had a number of big breakfasts there in the past, and Conrad and I paid homage to that this morning.




From there it was a stroll on St Laurent where we photographed some of the important places (food related!) to my Montréal life,


over to St Denis then through Square St Louis to admire the homes around it,



and along Prince Arthur.


The city was slowly coming to life with people heading to brunch or already dining. I wish we had more time here. On the way back to the airport we skirted through the north end of the McGill campus on Avenue des Pins,
and all too soon after that, we had the tall buildings of downtown behind us.

6 comments:

the ginger tabby said...

The big breakfasts are looking good, Peter!

the ginger tabby said...

Oh...and I've been to that Just Noodles restaurant! :)

Allison said...

Sean is also a fan of the Cafe Republique breakfast! Excellent!! I am glad you got a chance to go into the city (and weren't just stuck out in Pointe Claire/Dorval).

Allison said...

One more thing - Quatre Freres!

Peter said...

Or, as Jenn would call it, "Cat Frir".

:-)

Brenda, you've been to Just Noodles? I had Singapore noodles there almost weekly. And then there was the night of Allison's fried rice where I watched her pick out tiny bits of omelet for many many minutes.

the ginger tabby said...

Yep, I have! I visited Just Noodles upon Allison's coaxing, with her, when I visited her in grad school. She said it was "the" noodle place, if I recall correctly!

I, too, remember and still see egg-y bits being taken out of fried rice and the like. It's a cute oddity to witness (said with love, Ally).