

Apparently Missouri was once one of the nation's leaders in wine production. Before Prohibition, it ranked second in output. Given the state of American wine way back when, we shan't comment on quality.
Nowadays the state is hardly one most people think of when they think domestic (US) wine. Maybe that's fair - it doesn't have the quantity of the California, Washington, or Oregon, nor does it have the cachet. If the one (and only one, I admit) winery we visited is any indication, they don't have Old World grapes to any great degree either.
Still, let's be fair. And let's have fun. We realize we may not like ALL of the wines we taste, but that's no reason not to give them a go. So it was that on Saturday we stopped in at Stonehaus Farms Winery on our back into the city.
I won't dwell on the bad. Or rather, let me say that I won't dwell on the ones that I didn't care for. Interestingly, all of us had similar reactions. The Traminette was one of our least favourites, as was the aged Cynthiana. On the other hand, the newer pressing of Cynthiana was quite decent, and the port made from that grape would be lovely with some cheese. Conrad,
Justin,
Tonna,
and I tasted them all, while Conrad's Mom tasted some and poked around the shop.Ultimately we brought home two.
Come for dinner at our place, and you might just find an interesting discovery from our trip poured into your glass.
3 comments:
Conrad looks in his element, with the wine!
He sure is!
Actually, he was the driver, so he didn't taste everything. We have to get him a nice chauffeured tour one day.
Interesting. I never knew anything about Missouri and its wine industry. Looks like you had good weather down there.
Post a Comment