Tonight capped it nicely - my first of two dinners this weekend at Frontera Grill. CG has done us all proud with another degree, and her parents are in town this weekend for the ceremony. Lucky me, I got treated to dinner with the three of them.
A few photos to share. I was trying to get a shot of the butterfly bushes outside the restaurant,
but I realized on viewing it that it captured something important: that thanks to their policy of very restricted reservations, you either line up before opening or wait it out in the bar. We opted for the former, and when I got there a handful of minutes before 5:00, already some two-dozen folk were in line. You can get a hint of it in the reflection in the window.CG and family were great company. We shared some appetizers (quesadillas done in a Mexico City style, rather like turnovers, and some pork flautas). CG and I opted for the Topolo margarita each while her parents enjoyed Rioja. I switched to an Oregon Pinot Gris with my dinner, the Atlantic salmon
in a sauce I made sure to mop up as thoroughly as possible with tortillas.
CG, meanwhile, has been corrupted by me and Conrad and now can be espied taking photos of her food as well!

;-)
It was lovely conversation and great food, and I was especially gratified that CG's Mom was intrigued by a few of the desserts. I always appreciate someone who lets me get away with my sweet tooth. We ordered three for the table in the end. Two are shown here - I just wasn't happy with my fuzzy iPhone photo of the third, the mango upside down cake. Which is a shame, because while I liked all three desserts, I liked the cake the most. Ah well. The custards were silky, rich, very pretty.
The shortcake featured strawberries that tasted like strawberries and a shortcake that was anything but dry.
Damning it with faint praise, perhaps, but I sometimes think that strawberry shortcake is a good idea that never ever lives up to what it evokes.Cafe de olla finished me off, and I was glad for a walk of a handful of blocks.
One fine evening, and here's the beauty of it - I get to go back on Sunday night for a fundraiser dinner. Stoked is what I am, very much so!
No comments:
Post a Comment