Thursday, September 10, 2009

Bayless garden cocktail party

Almost 3 months back, Conrad and I enjoyed a dinner with RAD and some other Frontera Grill regulars at the Frontera Foundation's annual Dinner Like No Other fundraiser. Details on the blog, of course.

If I didn't mention then that we successfully bid (well, not technically, but long story, and it all worked out well) on a group cocktail party at the home of Rick and Deann Bayless. And being the big fanboy I am, I was thrilled.

Summer came to a close, and last Thursday evening, 11 of us gathered in the magnificent Bucktown garden of the Baylesses. The Baylesses, I should note, were not there. Which, I admit, is kind of odd, but not unexpected: they have restaurants to run. Instead, Deb, Fabi, and Harmony took good care of us. We were handed a choice of drinks (margaritas for most of us, of course), then guided around the gardens. Wow. I wish Jeph were with us - he would have been tickled at all there was. Native plants, fruiting trees (dwarf pomegranate!),
baby lettuces, squash on trellises, grape arbour, and more. Quite something.











After we'd wandered around and examined all the plants and asked a ton of questions, we gathered around the guacamole bar.

Deb talked to us about the food, and Fabi poured cocktails and told us about the wine, too. Dusk came upon us, and after a few hours, we left, quite pleased with our silent auction win.

1 comment:

Kris said...

I must admit that when I initially read your RAD blog, I was not familiar with the name Rick Bayless. Then, having watched Top Chef Masters series, I was retroactively impressed with your auction win! I envy your garden visit and your evening to enjoy the hospitality. :-D