Thursday, October 22, 2009

Dutch treat

Ah, the fun of sleepless nights. Occasionally it happens, and I don't think the horribly mild, even warm, weather helps. I was in bed for about a half hour before giving up. No worries. I've been getting a lot of work done tonight.

Over 2.5 hours in, though, I realized, "Hey, I should catch up on blogging." Just me, I guess, putting the needs of the Library and its users first.

;-)

So let me launch a puffy, soft little entry out there. I actually feel a little drowsy now, and I may attempt going to bed soon. Before that, though, I present to you a treat, potato chips.

For most of my life, until perhaps 5-6 years or so ago, I thought that Old Dutch was a Canadian brand (and western Canadian at that!). Imagine my thrill, finding the brand on a UP trip, and imagine my chagrin at discovering they were USian. Darn it!

A late lunch in Negaunee last Saturday had us at the Midtown Bakery. Inside, I was delighted to see a display of chips that included my favourite flavour: dill pickle. Apparently, it's not a well-known flavour in the US, nor is another flavour I recall less fondly from childhood: ketchup. No sign of salt-and-vinegar - I guess some things remain resolutely Canadian.

Even before lunch arrived at the table, though, I'd opened up that bag and started on the salty, tangy chips. Heaven. Bliss. My own little Canadian treat in a part of the world that is pretty darn close, geographically, to the homeland anyway...

1 comment:

cg said...

salt-and-vinegar are my fave too. mmm.