Saturday, March 27, 2010

fried pockets

In the old days at the restaurants, we would make empanadas from time to time. Not often, as I recall - they can be time-consuming to produce. Make the fillings. Make the dough. Press the dough. Fill the empanadas and seal them. Fry. Many steps for something that really is kind of a snack food deep down inside.

Still, they satisfy two very fundamental likes of mine:
  1. they are Mexican food.
  2. they are fried

Fried pockets of goodness, depending what you put in them, of course.

I had made some for Conrad, Martin, Carrie, and me last Saturday, and they turned out well. The next day, a client/friend of Conrad's was in town, and Conrad - still not 100% - wanted to have a casual dinner to entertain him. Happily, the dough is a quick task, and I had plenty of leftover fillings.

Two batches, then. This time I caught a few photos, both from the cooking process
and the final product, plus the table all set. I don't think it was too awful to serve sort-of leftovers for dinner to Conrad's friend JJ last Sunday. I mean, I look at that plate of little fried pockets, and I remember how warm and tender they were with a bit of crispness to the crust. Mmmmm....

No comments: