I've written and re-written this post in my mind. How to celebrate the best Monday I've known with my best friend? How to share it with the 3 or 4 of you who read this and yet not go overboard with it. Not easy. A list, of course, was the way to go.
What follows, then, are things I treasure from my first non-conference visit with TK:
- C&B. Coney and Buster.
I cannot understate how much I love these dogs, truly. Monday morning we walked them around the lake. Sunday night we spent chatting with Michael as well, stroking C&B as they demanded. Two perfect jewel-like memories. - Michael. I was a little intimidated to meet him. He's the partner of my best friend, so he looms large in my life. And in the end, he was a gracious host, a good cook (mmmm... asparagus), and someone I'm glad to have met.
- Their home. TK and I chat often, and I hear many things, so I was thrilled to be able to see what I'd heard about, add that context. Now, when Todd mentions his Bromley Estate iced tea, for instance, I can picture the box of tea bags in the cupboard.
- Chicken and waffles at Miss Shirley's.
Tasty. Very tasty. We sat outside, watched the neighbourhood, and ate well.
- The man himself.
Look, I'm not going to get all treacly on this blog (well, no more than usual). Quite simply, I had a visit wherein I was able to talk to my best friend face to face, or not have to talk and just ease into companionable silence. I miss that part most of all. June, a possible visit then, is a long way off.
I rave a lot about TK lately, and it's justified. I have had many good friends in my life (Kendall, Allison, CG, Martin, Jeph among others), and I am glad to now have TK close. An overnight visit to Baltimore, coinciding on the Monday with National Licorice Day (I'm rather fond of licorice, and TK knows it!) is now set in my memory, small perfect recollections of conversations (and silences), dog walking, and meaningful contented friendship.
National Licorice Day 2010: best Monday ever. Thanks TK.
No comments:
Post a Comment