Michael was the one who first suggested it as a nice dinner out for us - I think he saw it on "Check Please" some time before that and had been intrigued. We agreed on a midweek evening, and given reasonable winter weather, Conrad and I were able to walk there from the Library.
Arriving a bit early, we ordered some fun cocktails from the bar and were soon joined my Laura and Michael.
And then the opportunity quickly arose.
Last night was something of a going-away dinner for Brian.
The restaurant was jampacked, and we had to park at the bar for a short wait for the table. We ordered a bottle of a Pinot and a plate of fried lemon slices with aioli, and - of course - no sooner had we ordered than the table was ready.
I've got an image of the menu from last night from the restaurant pasted in here.
It changes, perhaps nightly, though I think that some things are somewhat constant in idea even if the sides change. There was the duck confit again, though served with different accompaniments (Brian had that). The chicken was Conrad's choice the first time we went (he had the steak last night). We shared a plate of the smelts (once again good), and then I opted for the pate. The sardines were the obvious choice (to me) for my meal, and they were very good - three of them, grilled. I love sardines. As for dessert, I ordered the sticky fig cake (the brittle with it was the best part, the cake was fine but not exceptional),The only dud of the evening was my last glass of wine, a red blend I thought would be a rich finish to the evening. It tasted completely maderized, and I was brought a replacement that was better but not satisfying. We noticed this with the first bottle of wine (we had two with dinner): too warm. The second bottle had a bit of a chill on it and was much better for it. I should have said something to them - they seem to store their reds in too warm a spot.
Wine incident aside, we will go back.
It was a late night. A 9:00 reservation down in Pilsen meant that Conrad and I crawled into bed, overindulged, at 1:00. That is so far from our normal habits, and I'm afraid to admit it: I'm getting old.
No comments:
Post a Comment