Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Tuesday assignment

Liz and Adrian welcomed their third son earlier this month, and many of us (if not all) on the swim team are so very delighted for them. And with that happy news, Ruth kicked into gear. Meal coordination. You do not want to let Ruth down!

Because of our recent travel, I opted to take today's date on the meal delivery schedule. Midweeks are not too bad for us, and since I had research and other work I could stay at home to take care of, it was easy for me to take care of a bit of cookery and then let it sit or bake or what-have-you while I took care of the work itself. We were ready for a 6:30 delivery without problem.

This is another instance where I was glad for past restaurant experience and the recipes I still turn to. I'd debated over and over the past few days what I would make before settling on a vegetarian version of torta rustica. Usually I make it as the recipe calls for: with layers of chicken breast meat. Since Liz and Adrian and family are vegetarian, I took out the chicken, added a bit more cheese, and added a bit of sauteed cauliflower. I hope they are enjoying it.

The funny thing, though, was that when I went to grab the cookbook, it wasn't there. Ooops. Where did I put that darn thing. I was pretty sure I didn't take it to Vancouver. And then I remembered - dimly - that we had had friends over for dinner last month, and I made pizzas for us.
They had enjoyed the meal, and I loaned them the cookbook. Grrr. I needed that recipe. Time to put the librarian skills to use online.

I won't tell you the lengths I went to, but it almost involved a long distance call following consultation with one of the best librarians I know. Ultimately, however, I found the darn thing.

It turned out nicely, I think.


In addition to the torta, I cooked up some Israeli couscous and wild rice and made a grain salad. I also baked a batch of cookie dough so I could pack a baggie of chocolate gingerbreads along. Conrad and I arrived pretty much at 6:30 on the dot, delivered our food, met the new baby, and left them all to have a family meal together.

And after all that, I'm hoping there will be another assignment soon so I can dig up a different, favoured recipe and bring it over. Cumin-stewed lentils? Cauliflower couscous pie? Let me go think on it some....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Peter,
so glad you are blogging again.
and, Yes: I
want it to be of a wedding planning
blog!!

Louise