Saturday, May 28, 2011

week without Conrad

Hmmmm... maybe that's a little melodramatic. It wasn't a FULL week, though given his time out of town the week before this past one, it all added up to feel like so much more than a week.

Let me be kind of honest here and allow some light in on the relationship that Conrad and I have. We're together a lot. We don't need to talk much - I learned a long time ago that Conrad is a person who appreciates silences, and while I am a person who naturally wants to fill silences, I've come to enjoy the value of being quiet together. Even now, sitting in our favourite Vancouver coffee shop, I'm blogging and Flickring and Facebooking and e-mailing, and he's reading. We're close by each other, but we haven't said anything in some minutes. And really, it's very comfortable. When we're apart - usually his work, sometimes mine - it's odd to us. We have only phone conversations to share, and the warm silences we share just don't quite work.

So yes, I'm overly dramatic about his absences, and I miss him a lot. And, happily, I have good people in my life who kept me good company this past week. A rundown so that I can properly thank them:

Scot invited me to a beer and cheese pairing dinner at Kendall College on Monday, and along with his friend Larissa (I hope I have that right), our teammate and friend George came along while his wife was out of town. The College has a very nice culinary school dining room, and it's been far too long since last I had been there. A rare (this year, at last) , warm spring evening, good company, and some tasty food. I especially liked the tart apple salad. I still wonder what made the "sexy" gingerbread sexy.

Wednesday lunch I enjoyed the company of my former officemate, Eric, in town on research leave. We ended up at a Brazilian place on Taylor, and I was quite impressed by the bowl of moqueca - fish and shrimp in a coconut broth. A side of rice, and I was well-nourished. Plus, great to see Eric while he was in town!

Fred joined me at the bar at Yoshi's for half-price bottle night on Wednesday. A newer teammate, he's a sweet and funny guy, and I was delighted to learn that we both share a real interest in tennis. Bonus points for enabling my sweet tooth by agreeing share dessert with me.

Thursday (Conrad got in much much later that night), I ventured far south to Hyde Park to Chuck's place. Chuck - and his adorable dog Rex - were hosting a small gathering to raise funds for a literacy center.

I have no photos of the food, but be assured that the Indian buffet Chuck had had catered was tasty AND substantial.

I missed Conrad a lot while he was gone, I won't lie. I was glad, however, for people who kept me company and who ensured I did not go hungry. As if there's ever any fear of that last possibility.

No comments: