Wednesday, June 07, 2023

halibut/rice


Welcome back, Peter!

I've been away for a nice relaxing weekend, and yes, I will blog about it in times ahead.  But as part of that weekend, I did not bring a laptop or iPad.  What?  Madness!  Ah yes, I actually went and enjoyed myself.  Now to catch up.

The night before Van and I headed out of town, I made dinner for Conrad, Van, Natasha, and me.  Unlike the pathetic pizza and mango tart effort of a weekend earlier, this time things turned out.

Sometimes a meal comes together in my head when I'm shopping, and that was the case last Friday.  I knew some of what I had in the fridge and pantry at home, and I knew I didn't want to have to buy too many things.  I got to Whole Foods and headed to the seafood counter.  There I found some nice looking halibut.  The meal came together from there.  I knew I had wanted to do a risotto, and I had a recipe for a pumpkin risotto that I thought I could adapt with carrots I had on hand.  Carrot risotto and a good piece of fish.  And?  Something green, not too bulky - red chard!  Then some dill and capers for a garnish.  Some chocolate and eggs to make an easy dessert, and I was headed home.

The risotto came together nicely.  The carrots didn't break down as squash would, but the chunks were tender.  I was pleased.  I seasoned the fish, including some saffron to play off the carrot in colour and flavour, then put it in a pan.  The chard received a coarse chiffonade (there is probably a better term for that).  I fried the capers to crispness.  And that made for a filling, tasty dinner. 


A rare time that I was happy with what I cooked.

Dessert was simply chocolate budini.  I've had them puff more than that in the past, but ah well.  Still tasty!


 All in all, a very nice evening together.  Enjoyable, indeed!

No comments: