Saturday, December 16, 2023

the bleak midwinter


I think some people looked at us a little askance because we were going to Sweden at midwinter.  Not above the Arctic Circle, but almost as far north as I’ve ever been (my personal record is a point on the Sweden-Norway border).  Short days, cold weather, snow.

I joke with the title of this blog entry.  I don’t find it bleak seeing a northern countryside in winter.  And I love the Christmas carol the blog entry title references.  No, I loved seeing the snow and the low sun and all.  I wish I had had more time to enjoy it.  It’s such a great change from California.  The grass is always greener?  Or perhaps the snow is whiter?

I have hours yet to kill at Heathrow, so let me post some winter photos from in and around Alfta and Bollnäs.  I cannot overstate how very beautiful I think Sweden is in all seasons, and what a treat it is to have now made four trips there in my lifetime.








No comments: