Saturday, December 30, 2006

leftover torta rustica

Last night we welcomed for dinner a newer teammate, Luis, and his partner Dan. Luis swims down in Conrad's lane, and he seemed like someone we could get to know and become friendly with. After all, he apparently didn't let my mean coach act put him off so much that he didn't come back to Smelts. That's reassuring!

Anyway, given that we were just getting to know them, we thought we'd not subject them to food photos. Just feed 'em some dinner and enjoy their company. Thus, tonight's photos are the leftover torta rustica I made, reheated in the oven.

It's a simple recipe in so far as it's essentially a meal in a pie. There are several components, though, so it takes a bit of time to put together. The pastry is a soft dough made with eggs and milk. The filling consists of layers of spinach mixed with egg, onion, bread crumbs, and romano; provolone cheese; roasted red peppers; and slices of chicken breast. I do love that it makes great leftovers, mind you, so I don't mind the effort.

The recipe is adapted from one in Evan Kleiman's Angeli Caffe Pizza Pasta and Panini: Heavenly Recipes from the City of Angels' Most Beloved Caffe. Recommended if you want a casual meal but have the time to put the parts together. I served it with a simple salad last night and again tonight.

1 comment:

Peter said...

Plenty of leftovers, and they made for really tasty lunch and dinner on the following days. Heck, it would be fine served cold for a picnic, I think.

The recipe calls for it to be molded in a bowl and inverted onto a sheet for baking, but the springform pan makes things a lot easier.

Care for the recipe?