Thursday, January 18, 2007

Museum of Anthropology


It's not supposed to snow here. I trudged through a thin veneer of slush covering Granville Island on my way to the pool this morning. Ah, but we had it easy, as we discovered a handful of hours later. Downtownish, it's wet - it's still raining unrelentingly outside the coffee shop windows. Up toward UBC, it was snow falling. Wet, heavy snow, accumulating on the roads, weighing down tree branches. Messy as all get out.

In lieu of a jaunt over to Victoria today (the amount of travel versus the amount of time we'd have there before having to turn around to catch a sailing wasn't worth it) we all went up to the Museum of Anthropology this morning. I love the collection there, mostly for the First Nations arts and crafts they have. The Museum allows photography, and though it may somehow violate copyright to post it here, I think that if it inspires more of you to go see it, so much the better.






Best of all is Bill Reid's magnificent sculpture of Raven and the First Men, carved from a single block of yellow cedar. I was welling up seeing it again.

2 comments:

the ginger tabby said...

Very nice! I like First Nations arts and crafts, too. BC seems to have a good selection of it. I must see some more when I next travel to BC.

Peter said...

BC does have a lot of First Nations, after all!

LOL