Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Saturday night, Glowbal Grill

You know, it was kind of like a date on Saturday night, only with loud, boozing, a**hole lawyers having a pre-reunion dinner at a large table nearby us.

Hmmm.

Glowbal Grill was Conrad's request, and I was more than happy to go along. Not the first time we've been there, of course. An earlyish dinner reservation in hand, we settled down at a table on the patio, a warm night in Yaletown coming on. And h, those lawyers. 10-12 of them, and so obnoxious that other tables on the patio were asking to move inside. We found them somewhat amusing and stayed put instead.

In any case, it helps when you have a decent bottle of wine, this one a Mission Hill Pinot Noir.


The management might have felt bad about the nearby table, we don't know, but a couple of complimentary satays soon came out: tiger prawn on the one skewer, scallops with bacon on the other.



See? We're happy!In fact, we felt very well treated all evening. The waiter knew his stuff and was personable without being too chummy. Nicely done on his part!


We did order our own satays anyway, and went for more prawn and scallops along with beef shortrib topped with a truffle aioli.


As for the main course, I went for the pecan-crusted pork chop. My love of pig is well known, I think. No bad comments from you, Mr. Remley.

Conrad, unsurprisingly, went for the salmon. And, unsurprisingly, he enjoyed it muchly.



By this point we were done the bottle of wine, though we did have a half liter of an Okanagan Cab-Merlot (I think - I am sorry I didn't pay attention to it) to get us through to the end of our evening. And given the towering cheese course that came out, well, we needed a drink to manage! Whoa!



I'll make a criticism here: despite an amazing presentation, the cheese was served too cold. Additionally, we had only four run-of-the-mill selections from which to choose. We didn't do badly, as you can see, but a proper cheese course can be more than just a massively tall pile.

Post-dinner we weren't ambitious at all. We stopped in a Yaletown wine shop and bought a few things, and otherwise headed back to the hotel for the comforts of a big king bed!

2 comments:

the ginger tabby said...

My, what a cheese tray!

Peter said...

In the spoon was white balsamic vinegar with some drops of balsamic vinegar. A nice counterpoint to some of the cheese.