Wednesday, August 15, 2007

I want mussels


I need to get that song on my iTunes. I am gay, remember?

So, let's see. Nothing really in the fridge. A Whole Foods situated near the end of my bus ride home. Hmmmm. Maybe I'll buy something and cook it up for dinner. How, I don't know, French!

Mussels tonight. I haven't had them in some time, and I haven't cooked them in even longer. I made a broth of coconut milk flavoured with minced ginger, shallots, and garlic. Some brown sugar, salt, and green curry paste all added their magic to it as well. The kitchen smelled wonderfully good.

Asparagus, snow peas, sliced white onion, and red pepper pieces went into the broth for a minute or so, then the mussels followed. I tossed in some chopped fresh basil and squeezed in half a lime at the end. All of this I dished into warmed bowls at the bottom of which were some halved cherry tomatoes and more basil. Simple, really, and very tasty.
Most of the mussels were fine - there's always a dud or two - and we had a lovely dinner of them with some French rosé.

And now Conrad is doing dishes. Once in a while, I really really appreciate it. Quite a nice life I'm leading tonight!

5 comments:

the ginger tabby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
the ginger tabby said...

Looks good, Peter! I've grown to really like mussels.

Allison said...

You just whipped it up at a moments notice! Don't I wish I lived in your neighbourhood.

Peter said...

Mussels rock. Well, they're darn good, at least!

Jeph, give mussels a try again. I promise you, mine were tasty!

Allison, if you lived in the neighbourhod, I could drop off banana bread or scones in the morning like I used to!

:-)

the ginger tabby said...

Did you say banana bread and scones?? **drool** I might just have to move to Chicago!