
Our apartment smells so good right now. So darn good!
I made some pork this evening for dinner. I had sort of turned over in my head throughout the day an assortment of ideas on how to prepare it, but when I got home, I decided to consult a couple of Penelope Casas cookbooks. And as I opened one of them, I thought, "Hey wait, what about that rabbit recipe?"
Ah yes, the Conejo Aurora. Rabbit in a sauce of almonds, garlic, olives, and white wine. Sooooo good. We've enjoyed it with friends before.
So why not pork? A light meat, like rabbit. Stovetop cooking, so it wouldn't heat the place up too much in this summer weather. I set to it happily.
It worked out delightfully, as you can see. AND we have leftovers for tomorrow lunch! A warm night on the balcony, some salad and some cherries and some wine. Quite nice.

Conrad, meanwhile, is being a real tease, wearing his Hawaiian shirts lately. Poor soul has to fly - business class at that! - to Honolulu on Monday for a few days of work. I feel for him mightily.


But back to the rabbit, and I will do something I don't normally do: provide the recipe. It's a copyright thing, but really, if it convinces someone to buy Ms Casas' books, then maybe it's for the better.
Conejo Aurora
from Delicioso: the regional cooking of Spain (page 378)
- 3 oz pitted green olives, cut in half crosswise
- 1.5 oz (about 1/4 cup) blanched almonds
- a 2.5-3 lb rabbit cut into serving pieces (I used four boneless country-style pork ribs tonight)
- salt
- flour for dusting
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, lightly crushed and peeled
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- freshly ground pepper
Put the olives in a small saucepan, cover with water, and boil for five minutes. Drain the olives and reserve.
Put the almonds on a cookie tray and brown in an oven set at 350. Cool and transfer to a food processor.
Sprinkle the rabbit with some of the salt and dust with the flour. Heat the oil in a casserole, and brown the rabbit pieces on all sides. Remove from the casserole and set aside on a warm plate.
Lightly brown the garlic in the same oil. Transfer it to the food processor and reduce it and the almonds to a paste.
Add the onion to the casserole and sauté for a couple of minutes. Add the rabbit back to the casserole along with the olives, almond-garlic paste, broth, wine, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce to a simmer. Let stew gently for up to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
5 comments:
Love the Hawaiian shirt!
I'm honestly not as fond of it - I tend toward the ones with big hibiscus or plumeria blossoms on them instead. Like the one I'm wearing at work today!
You two and your Hawaiian shirt. It just doesn't seem to be what I would imagine as Conrad's style, but it allows you to keep cool. Did C. get this in Hawaii?
It's a fairly simple but very good recipe that, of course, Brett won't eat. But give it a try!
:-)
And post the pictures from work of your Hawaiian shirt to your blog!
Allison, we got all of our Hawaiian shirts (about 4 or 5 each) over there, yes. Reyn Spooner is the label we look for, though we have seen it in Mainland stores. It seems, for example, that all the men in Chico wear Hawaiian shirts all the time!
Post a Comment