Thursday, August 23, 2007

wetter still

We're having a bedtime lull in the storms. Little wind, no rain, no lightning. But jeepers, for a handful of hours there, things were mighty awesome in a truer sense of the word. The result: enormous puddles, flooded streets, flooded basements (including the basement of our highrise), power outages (the block across the street from us, for example), branches torn from trees, trees blown over, even streetlights and traffic lights blown over. A real mess.

Oh, and for about 10 to 15 minutes at the end of my workday, everyone in the building was herded into the central stairwells - a tornado had been reported in the suburbs and an alert was issued for the city.

I caught a few shots out the window at one especially wet period around dinner time.



I opened the balcony door to get shots outside, unhampered by the splatter of drops on a window. Mistake! Wind whipped rain at me and I immediately retreated inside. I did catch some shots of an impressive sunset.
No lightning photos, though, this despite a stretch of a few hours where five minutes could not pass without a bolt lighting the sky.

1 comment:

Peter said...

To be fair, the lightning strikes were amazing at times as well!