Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Frontera, before the camera battery died


Dion was back in town yesterday, arriving at our place earlier than expected - before I got home from work even. He tried ringing up to the apartment a second time a little while after I got home, and once I got round the front desk of the building telling me that "Theo" was here for me, I welcomed him into our home.

And almost immediately turned around to try snagging a dinner downtown at Frontera Grill. Not a bad wait for a spot - we arrived between 5:30 and 5:45, and were seated at the back counter by the kitchen at about 6:15. A bit of a different spot, but fun.

Things I learned last night: Dion does not care for tequila, and the Topolo margarita was too much for him. A little presumptuous of me to order one for him. Ooops.

Never mind, we got him back on track with a different cocktail, and then each of us had a glass of Pinot Noir to go with the quesadillas capitalinas and the flautas filled with pork picadillo. Jill recommended a half bottle of a Qupe Syrah to go with our meals, and it was a nice choice as well. Dion was sold on the carne asada - a big steak with an appealing amount of heat in the seasoning.

At that point, the camera battery died. Merde!

Dion took some shots with his camera, and I hope he will send them along so I can post the remains of dinner. The evening ended late - Conrad got in the door from Honolulu just before 11, and he wanted a light bite and some time to catch up with Dion as well.

Dion heads back to New Zealand later today. I'll head in to work before too long, after he's done getting ready to go. Come Friday (New Zealand time), he'll be back home with Minna and happy to be so, and then the two of them can begin their end of scheming for a return visit from us in 2009.

2 comments:

Allison said...

Sounds like you had a great visit with Dion!

Peter said...

A very good one - wanna have another visit with him and Minna in 2009 with us?

:-)