Saturday, January 19, 2008

around the eastern tip of O'ahu

Alright then, now that we're home (as of 1:15 this morning, and don' even get me started on whining about how they switched us over to a Ted plane, ergo, no business class on the way home - rough life Peter!) and I'm awaiting Conrad for dinner, I can post some pics of the weekend that was.

And ahhhhh. Quelle fin de semaine! Gorgeous, sunny, warm, lotsa good food, lotsa photos. Many postings to come, I promise!

Let's get some scenery posted first off. I know, I know: where are the food photos? But bear with me on this, and let's get some sun, sea, and greenery up first.

Friday morning we were up at not too early a time. Quite funnily, I crashed - badly - at 8:30 the night before after swearing I would make it to 9:00. Nope. No chance. I was out like a light and spent 11 hours asleep, more or less. But we were in a dawdling mood in any case, so after a relaxed breakfast at the hotel we set out eastward. I'd spent one night in Honolulu in 2006, and Conrad has been there a lot lately, and we both wanted to see more of the island itself. So then...

Palm trees. Duh. But gee, do they look great at this time of year. A photo from Kapiolani Park.


Below Diamond Head.


Hanauma Bay. Very high on my list of "reurn-to" places. I badly want to go snorkeling there.

Views above and near the Halona Blowhole and Halona Point.



Views above and near Makapuu Beach.



Food, sort of. The guidebooks pointed us to a deli in Kailua, but in its place was this little takeaway place. We rather liked the look of it, so we ordered some lunch and took it up to...

...Kailua Beach Park. Lunch at a picnic table, then a stroll in the waves.

After that we decided to head back to the city in order to be ready for dinner with Lei and Doug. The views along the Pali Highway were quite something in places.


A lot of tourists stop here: Nuuanu State Park. Not nearly so windy as we were led to think, but great views to Kaneohe Bay!



All that, and yet the mileage was quite small - O'ahu isn't all that big an island, and the roads are fine. Best of all - lots of sun but no burn!







6 comments:

Joe said...

Breathtaking!

cg said...

my first and only snorkeling experience was in that very Bay ... i wish i had had more time (and more experience!). it was fun.

looks like a lovely trip!

Peter said...

CG, I'm jealous!

No photoshopping - just breathtaking views (as Joe said) and us with lots of sunscreen!

Allison said...

You do look you photoshopped your way into the one pic (of you with the scenery behind you!)

Still, very beautiful sky and ocean.

the ginger tabby said...

Wow. Lovely pics. Esp love the blues of the sky and water. Divine.

Peter said...

Oh Allison - sooooo not Photoshopped, I swear!