Thursday, January 24, 2008

Simpler dining on O'ahu

Second food O'ahu food post, and this time, it's more about the less-refined dining. Heck, you might be surprised.

Well no, you shouldn't be. If it tastes good, I'll put it in my mouth. No naughty comments from you Remley!

On the Friday night we joined Doug and Leifor dinner at a place that gets rave reviews in the guidebooks and from Conrad, but really, it's pretty nondescript: Sidestreet Inn. On to the food!

Ahi tuna belly. Nice, not super.

The sizzling Korean pork. SO. DARN. GOOD.

Blackened ahi tuna.

Pork ribs in a lilkoi (passionfruit) sauce.

All was quite good, and we ate eagerly. Four dishes down, and then we thought we would have a fifth. Whoops. Not as good. Chicken gizzards. Normally I rather like them, but these were kind of tough and chewy and had no flavour other than being fried. The seasoned salt was good, though.

The next day, our shopping day, was where I saw this treat at a Foodland grocery store: spam musubi.Yep, spam. It's very very very popular in Hawaii. Laugh all you will, but Lei told us that it's enjoyed a great deal there. No, I didn't consume the whole thing - it was cheap enough to not worry about wasting it, and I wasn't all that hungry, really. Oh, in the photo? It's wrapped in plastic, not lacquered or anything.


Sunday, and we were driving up the Windward Coast of the island when we happened upon this right at about 11:55 AM. Lunch! We got in line, ordered, and waited.


To wash it down, a coconut.

Ahhhh, very very garlicky shrimp. We reeked of it the rest of the day. It was so worth it!






When we got to Haleiwa, we stopped for a mai tai at a place recommended to us. Fine enough, but we'd had better. Still, nice to stop!

Haleiwa seems to be shave ice central, and we had to try one of those as well.


This, my friends, is the Local Mix (with an unseen amount of sweet red adzuki beans in the center): pineapple, mango, and li hing mui (dried salted plum). And I can assure you, it was good. Conrad and I devoured it in, oh, two minutes, I think....

7 comments:

Allison said...

Love the pineapple Hawaiian shirt!

Stunned Donor said...

So this is what you're up to while I shivered in Atlanta? The frickin' cold followed me down South from PA and we were building snowmen on the golf course last weekend. I like your getaway much better.

Oh and adzuki bean shaved ice? Heaven!

Peter said...

We passed Waimea Bay, but the parking was overflowing, so we kept on going. It looked gorgeous, though.

Never had SPAM, ever??? I seriously don't believe that.

Allison, thanks! That was a $20 find at Hilo Hatties. If you dig among all the stuff there you can sometimes find a Made-in-Hawaii option in natural fibers!

Steven, I am sorry about the weather in Atlanta. So much for Hotlanta? If it makes you feel better, I suffered through -3 here the other day. That's Fahrenheit, BTW!

the ginger tabby said...

The shrimp looks scrumptious!

Peter said...

It was absolutely yummy, I assure you!

Durable Goods said...

We had a great time - and plate -at Giovanni's Shrimp Truck. I thought I had found a great deal at Hilo Hattie's but it turned out to be a woman's shirt because the buttons were on the other side. I gave it away in the Yankee Auction last year.

Durable Goods said...

I meant to also say that when we were there, Michael got the garlic and reeked of it the rest of the day... I got the lemon pepper, I believe. Or maybe the original. It was hot, that much I remember.