Saturday, June 14, 2008

TRU

Sometimes we just want to have a dinner out and NOT take photographs. Sit, sip wine, enjoy food, try not to draw attention from surrounding tables. And mostly tonight, dining at TRU, that approach worked. Mostly.

And then the 5th course came out.

Roasted California squab, butternut squash puree, nasturtium, cherry sauce.That's what the menu said. I don't know where the cherry was, the blossom was a pansy, not a nasturtium, and there was no mention of the tasty square of farro on the menu. No matter. It was so good, and we couldn't resist the photo given that the squash was shaped deliberately to remind us of a process cheese slice. Food done wittily, and very well. We had to pull out the camera for that course, and for that course alone.

Date night with Conrad at TRU, one of the best restaurants in the city. At first I thought service was lagging, but I quickly realized that I was in too much of a hurry. I relaxed and feel into the restaurant's pace and before I knew it, we'd been there for three enjoyably leisurely hours. We had the six course Grand Collection (plus cheeses - we're totally suckers for a cheese cart!). Our delight in the food increased with each course, a true progression. We're keen to go back.

Highlights included the Canterbury Pinot Noir (New Zealand), a revelation from the first sip. I also thought highly of the

  • liquid parmesan gnocchi, chanterelle, ramp, crispy serrano
  • the bits of roe tucked into the asparagus spaetzle on the sturgeon course
  • the dessert amuse bouche of rhubarb consomme and lemon ginger tapioca
  • the mignardises and lollipop (mine was lingonberry), and especially the chocolate filled with pear and hazelnut

Above all, though, was the sixth course, the dessert. Think mint is just for toothpaste or lamb? Think again. Our plate of Greek yogurt (a panna cotta) with mint, honey, grape, raisin, and a frozen mint julep (a lovely green sorbet) was frankly astonishing. Deliciously so. We were both floored by it.

Perhaps best of all - and something TRU has no control over - we get to sleep in tomorrow morning. What a lovely evening of dining, and what a lovely morning to come!

That, by the way, is a terrific tie, I think...

;-)

1 comment:

Peter said...

Ah, good old salad Nee-koh-say. I could go for some Japanese food again!

;-)

The tie: thanks!