Monday, September 01, 2008

Lamb, peaches


So there we were, on our way home from Stanley Park by way of popping in on Dad, and Conrad tells me that he'd kind of like some red meat for dinner. Hmmm. Already almost 5:00. Oh boy, this might be fun.

It wasn't, not totally. But I made it through, and while I'm hardly entirely happy with the dinner I made, I will agree that it was edible. And the parsnips kind of rocked.

It ended up being a slightly late dinner with a few things done with the materials on hand rather than with what I felt I needed. String, for example. Always nice to be able to tie up roasts with string. I remembered for the first minute or so while at Save-On Foods, and then POOF! Gone from my mind.

We had lamb for dinner. I took a butterflied leg and filled it with a mixture of pine nuts, currants, Manchego, shallots, and spinach. Rolled it and roasted it, then served slices atop a bed of a parsnip and leek puree, some lentils alongside. With this we sipped an Oak Bay Vineyard (by St. Hubertus) Pinot Meunier.

Dessert worked out a little better. I had a few BC yellow peaches. A boiling water bath did not loosen the skins as I'd have liked, so I peeled them roughly, then poached them some in a Riesling, honey, and lime syrup. I removed the peaches before they were too soft, then reduced the syrup and let the peach halves sit soaking in it, spooning more syrup on them on occasion. With more time, it may have been a better dessert. Still, I liked that the lime gave the syrup some tang and some bitterness (from the zest), and set against some local blackberries and a scoop of vanilla ice milk, it made for a lighter dessert that we all enjoyed.

And now it's blogging before doing some reading, a bit of a Cedar Creek Platinum Reserve 2005 Pinot Noir sitting by me. Why yes, we do try to drink A LOT of BC wine back home in BC...

1 comment:

Allison said...

sounds like a yummy dinner!