Monday, September 15, 2008

three times the fun?


I jest - an afternoon in the kitchen, baking cookies, actually isn't fun. I like it, believe me. It's what I do. But by the end of it, over-indulged with cookie dough and back sore from hunching over counters to trim and cut and roll, I'm not having fun. It's something else.

Eh, whatever it is, someone gets a treat out of it.

I spent yesterday afternoon continuing my exploration of the great cookbook Conrad's sister Karen got for me (and she and her family will benefit in a day or two from the cookies, as they will many more times in the future, I think). All told, I think I made in the neighbourhood of 12-15 dozen. Not too shabby.

One of the three recipes I'd made before, the chocolate gingerbread cookies. These turned out to be a bit inconsistent from pan to pan, and I wonder if making a double batch rather than two separate batches is partly to blame. Ah well.

The lime meltaways were fairly easy to make, though a bit messy with coating them in icing sugar. Still, I was pleased by the ease of them, and I will likely come back to them again. I would bet they'd fare nicely with dishes of a citrus sorbet for a summer dessert.

My favourites? The coconut macadamia shortbreads. I made the dough a few days before hand and chilled it until Sunday. No harm done to it for that. I loved the scent, the flavour, and the relative ease of working them. I even felt the triangles were a nice visually-appealing shape. I definitely will bring those back at Christmas, if not before.

3 comments:

the ginger tabby said...

Peter, "lime meltaways"?? I think my sister is making those as we speak!! From the Martha Stewart cookie cookbook?

Peter said...

The very same ones, yes!

the ginger tabby said...

Actually, when I tried one, I realized that she substituted lemon. Pretty good, though...mmm.