
Sarah and a friend of hers are coming for dinner tonight, so I've been trying to get a few things done in advance, allowing me time today to do housecleaning. I've made brine, I've got pears poached in red wine (and I have to keep spooning the reduced poaching syrup over them to glaze them nicely), I have cookie dough made for baking and serving with the pears. It should be easy to put this dinner together. I know, I know: famous last words.
While I was doing things last night, I decided it would be fun to have an extra batch of cookies, a little post dessert treat, in case anyone wants coffee. I thought a biscotti would be elegant, and so I turned to a favourite recipe called Moorish Delight. I didn't make that name up. The cookies are studded with pistachios and dried apricot, and flavoured with clove and saffron. Not everyone I know cares for those flavours, but I rather like them.
So there I was, three cookbooks out, working on two or three things all at once. Bad move Peter. I got the biscotti in the oven and turned back to the counter to make the dough for the rosemary butter cookies, when I saw that I had one stick of butter too few out on the counter. Uh-oh. I know I had out the three sticks I counted between the two recipes.
So I've got a batch of VERY rich and buttery biscotti on my hand. Let's be honest - extra butter doesn't make things taste worse. The cookies are delicious. The extra butter has left them softer and more cakey than normal, though. I just have to shake my head.

Cool tin, though, right?
2 comments:
very cool tin, and the poached pears look good, too - never tried a poached pear before
I've had the tin from years - Mum sent me Christmas cake one year, and I never gave it back.
Poached pears are lovely, really. A nice alternative to baked desserts. Simple to eat and present, but you can gussy them up with all kinds of things, too.
Post a Comment