Saturday, February 28, 2009

shepherd's pie

It's been a few evenings (and even a bunch of this weekend) now with work to be done, brought home from the Library, and not much opportunity to do fun stuff like cook nicely or blog. Snivel snivel moan moan. Poor me.

So, permit me to get back on track now that I've cleared a bunch of work off my plate for the day (though back at it tomorrow morning). Back we go to Tuesday night. I should have made cookies for Wednesday at work, but I was not in a baking mood. I was in the mood for comforting food, made just for me while Conrad was in Honolulu.

So, Coupling, Season 3 streaming on the laptop, I started to work. Ground lamb, leeks, some seasoning. That went in the bottom of each of four ramekins. Atop that went a puree of parsnips and more leek. Potatoes are not often found in our house, and honestly, I think that a potato topping is often bland. Ramekins ready, I popped them into the oven on a baking sheet. Let them go for a while. Pulled them out and put a dollop of butter and a sprinkling of coarse salt on each. This made for a nicely golden crust on each. They bubbled up their juices, and I pulled them out.



Alongside? Simply some Brussels sprouts. A glass of wine. I should have let the pie cool a little - I dug in greedily and burnt the roof of my mouth. Piggish of me. Still, it did make for a cozy dinner to enjoy by myself.

2 comments:

Sharon Andy Holderman said...

We just finished the last episode of Coupling's last season earlier this week. Jeff is totally my favorite and Patrick is a riot. The "main" guy was my least favorite...but it is just too funny! I was just telling Jeph and Brett they need to watch streaming on Netflix like we did!

Peter said...

It is funny, isn't it. I love Jeff, totally, too. jack Davenport is good, but he really is the straight man to the funnier others. I even like Jane.