Saturday, February 14, 2009

sunny winter morning, downtown

Thursday morning I spent downtown at a workshop on copyright - I know, it sounds like a thrill a minute. In fact, it was a useful and engaging three hours.

I actually started my morning a little earlier. Conrad also had a workshop that day downtown, so we shared a cab, and I got out where it dropped him in Streeterville. From there it was a moderately brisk stroll toward the Santa Fe Building. Walking along Michigan Avenue, with gorgeous blue skies overhead, I was struck yet again by what a jewel of a city Chicago can be. And, of course, I took photos...

I didn't investigate what this public art
was all about in the plaza between the Tribune Tower and the river. Doubtless connected to the work American Gothic, housed at the Art Institute. Advertising? I don't know.

The creamy, beautiful Wrigley Building.
Oddly, I like the juxtaposition of this iconic structure and the almost-complete Trump Tower nearby.

A favourite of mine, the deep green Carbide and Carbon Building. Now the Hard Rock Hotel, of all things.

Morning traffic rushed past. I stopped time and again. The old public library, now the Chicago Cultural Center, is a handsome sight.

In Millennium Park I looked back north at some other landmarks. The Smurfit-Stone Building is notable for its truncation and cleft. When I first came to Chicago, I was told that it was designed by a woman in response to the skyscraper as phallus metaphor. I've never bothered to learn the truth - it makes for a funny thing to tell visitors in any case.

Taller buildings: the Prudential Plaza buildings and, looming on the right, the second tallest in Chicago, the Aon Center. The Trump Tower will overtake it for second when it is complete.

Finally, the lovely little Santa Fe Building, little being a relative thing. The rounded windows of the top floor distinguish it.

There's a lot more to be said about the city's architecture - and Conrad certainly could add a whole lot more. No matter. Sometimes it's sufficient just to enjoy the views.

No comments: