Well, ok: proud to coach. And swim - just not at meets, thank you.
Yesterday was the concluding day of the 2011 Illinois Masters State Meet, and friends, the Smelts did very well. Very well indeed. Fourth place overall with Lauren and Heidi taking high points in their age groups.
Conrad and I went out to the suburban high school (wow, they build high schools big here!) where the meet was held to support the team for the morning session. I had offered to coach, and that was very sweet and flattering to be asked, truly. To be honest, though, the Smelts did not need a coach. Oh, an encouraging word or more doesn't go amiss, I know. I also took splits for most of them in some of the races. Mostly, though, it's too late to tinker with their stroke, to give them technique to fret over. They've trained well and hard, and they can get the races done quite nicely. Which, definitely, they proceeded to do. And so, at noon(ish), Conrad and I packed up and drove back into the city, content that our team was in its own, collective good hands.
And if only - and I will stop whining about this, I promise - I weren't on this cleanse. That pizza at North End smelled so good come dinner time, and a good beer on an 80 degree day (yes, it was a warm early April here yesterday) would have gone down well.
The team has undergone many changes even in my mere 11 years swimming with it. The long-timers will have seen so much more. No matter. It's enjoyable to go for brunch or to organized social functions and chat with them all. It's encouraging how much the newer swimmers have embraced the team as a whole and put forward great effort in the water and on the deck cheering. It's terrific that we can so ably include straight and gay (men and women, though I do wish we had a few more lesbians) on the team because we all just like swimming. The team are good people.
Smelts, I am proud of you. And yet, as I sit typing this under an hour before Monday practice, I can assure you that I have not intentionally drawn up an easy practice for tonight. See you at Gill Park!
(photos up on Flickr!)
No comments:
Post a Comment