If I maintained an actual list of places in Chicago I need to get back to or try dining at in the first place, well, I'd start feeling awfully discouraged. Not that it's a tough life dining at Yoshi's so often, but it is a nice thing to go elsewhere. And really, there are few other cities in North American that can boast the dining scene Chicago has. Once every so often, then, I make a small effort.
Ever watch Top Chef? The winner of season 4 was the immensely likable Stephanie Izard, and local chef. I didn't try her former restaurant over in Bucktown, Scylla. Apparently it was great for seafood. Her new place also features some good seafood items, but the key thing to eat there is goat. Of course.
Girl and the Goat, a cute name for a restaurant that is hoppingly popular and housed in a terrific, industrialesque space. Conrad and I had been there once a couple of summers ago, celebrating CG, and we've not been back since. I have no idea why.
After Wednesday night, I'm even more mystified by our behaviour.
Conrad was working all week in California, so I got together with a few different friends during the week. Wednesday, sporting a brand new tie

(and in need of a beard trim that I finally got around to today), I met up with MK right after work at the bar at Girl and the Goat. Easy to get seats right when it opened. I had a couple of YA novels to pass along to her, and since I got there first, I was enjoying a cocktail, 6th Borough, when she arrived. A beer for her (and, later, a second cocktail for me). On to food, including bread with cultured butter and beer and cheese spread,

some green beans with cashews (compliments of the kitchen),

crispy fried duck tongues,

a sweet potato gratin.

Best item, the thing I want to go back to enjoy again? Shisito peppers with sesame and parmesan.

Seriously, I could go back happily every day this week ahead (if I weren't off to Vancouver) and sit at the bar, enjoying peppers and a 6th Borough.
It likely won't happen this week. It will happen one day. I'll get Conrad there (or another friend). And that will be one more place checked off the non-existent list, at least for the time being...
No comments:
Post a Comment