Friday, February 10, 2012

tonight's dessert

Conrad heads off to LA on Sunday for a week of work, thereby missing Valentine's Day. Oh, it's not a big day for us. I worked too many years in restaurants to have an appreciation of such the day. I don't mind missing out on February 14, especially since we might have date nights otherwise.

Anyway, as I might have mentioned on the blog before, there are four key foods to woo Conrad: chocolate, raspberries, salmon, Pinot Noir. I managed three of the four tonight. Up first: some Whole Foods sushi and sashimi. Salmon? Check. With that we had a bottle of a New Zealand Pinot I'd found on sale the other day. A Central Otago Pinot. We were excited. Alas, it was... meh. Thin, weak. Fine for a few sips with dinner, but we ended up chucking most of the bottle and turning to a Hahn blend that was far more delicious. Oh, and I cooked up a bit of asparagus, too. So, two out of four magical ingredients.

We sipped a bit of wine, made some social plans for the next several weeks, then I got into the kitchen and whipped up dessert. Item #3: chocolate. Mexican chocolate this time, in fact, some souffles. Guilty admission: we had one each and then, because the half-batch I made resulted in more than 2 souffles. Don't judge me.

No raspberries tonight, sorry Conrad. Perhaps I can work some in to some baking before you leave on Sunday.

No comments: