You know those cultural dinner shows that you can attend in various places? I think Conrad and I last went to one in New Zealand some 16 years ago. No, actually, I lie: we did a fado dinner show in Lisbon a handful of years ago. My point is, we seldom go.
But in Buenos Aires, we went.
I'm not a fan, generally. The food is seldom all that great (it was ok if not especially warm). The spectacle is usually pretty kitschy. It's not my thing. Nor is it Natasha's, but she had it included in the tour. And I think she was right to do so.
Look, I am NOT an expert on Argentina. For all I know, there are many parts of the country where tango is enjoyed by everyday people dancing at parties, in bars, in the streets. I just don't think that's really the case, though. Instead, I can't help but feel it's an art form that is appreciated widely at festivals and in staged performances but not one that many people actually practice. Its music may remain popular, its influence on other dance and artistic forms is secure, but no, I don't think I'll see it done just casually.
That said, it's clearly a beautiful part of the cultural heritage of the area, and as such, it warrants preservation and celebration. And if a route to that is by staging shows in dinner theaters, then so be it. So let me sit, eat, sip, and enjoy the show.
After a half hour of dancers coming on and off stage and two singers, I had had rather enough tango. Sorry. Another hour to go. But then the curtains came across the stage, and footage of Eva Peron was projected on them. The woman who was singing came out and did a Spanish language performance of Don't Cry for Me, Argentina.
Our tour guide would have been revolted. Me, I quietly messaged Conrad and another person in our group that it would have been awesome if it had been a drag queen doing this part.
She finished, the curtains opened, and three musicians, styled in an Andean manner, came out to play. I have no photos of them, or the guy who joined them and swirled weighted balls on ropes. The musicians were fine, opening with El Condor Pasa before seguing into... The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. I was laughing a bunch, and at that point I surrendered to the evening and just let it be whatever cheese it was.
Truthfully, it was one of the accordionists who was the star of the show. And of the six dancers, I thought two of the pairs seemed technically excellent but not particularly well-matched. One pair, however, seemed to dance with each other, leaning in close. They were my favourites.
We got back to the hotel close to midnight. No one had enjoyed the food much, but the show was well-received. Good! For all that I thought it was ridiculous in its way, I appreciated the work that the performers put into it and thank them for providing entertainment on the last night that the group of eight of us had together on the trip.







No comments:
Post a Comment