Saturday, August 24, 2024

appreciation for the city

Two nights in Vancouver, two morning walks, both of them without Conrad, who opted to stay in bed.  He's so cute.

I think I might have said this before, but I didn't like Vancouver when I was younger.  Too big, too much for a smalltown boy to deal with.  I knew very little of the city (and I won't pretend to know all that much all that well now).  It wasn't my favourite place despite it being my birthplace.  My, how things change.

I could see myself living in Vancouver one day.  Or Victoria.  Or the Sunshine Coast.  But Vancouver offers a lot.  On the Friday morning, I set off southeast-ish


then came along the False Creek waterfront and eventually back to the hotel.  I caught some photos,





but mostly walked and listened to music and felt great about being back in the city.  When I got back to the room, Conrad was up and around, and we wandered the the nearby Honolulu Coffee Company to start our day together.

Saturday morning I set out in the opposite-ish direction,


walking a bunch through the West End before coming along the water in English Bay

and back to the hotel.  I took almost no photos on that walk, but just enjoyed the sunny, cool weather and being out on foot.

I'm not dumb.  Vancouver is a city with the problems of a city.  Our condo when we owned it looked out on a lot of those problems.  It is a far from perfect place.  But then you walk about, see the bigger and smaller details, and you think how delightful the place really can be.

No comments: