Monday, August 19, 2024

Bullocks Wilshire


And now for something a little different:  an architectural tour!

A couple of weekends ago, the three of us


headed into Los Angeles before lunch time.  No, not into downtown, but out along Wilshire Boulevard to the Southwestern Law School campus.  One of the main school buildings is what used to be the Bullocks Wilshire department store, a revered LA icon for shoppers for decades.  Once a year they building is opened to tours (though there are private tours otherwise available), and Van jumped on the chance to buy tickets this year.  A guided tour by a librarian at the school,

a lunch up in the dining room, and an opportunity to see a building that is getting some reverential re-use - hooray!

And my gosh, is it any wonder why folks want to tour it?  What a glorious building. 




What beautiful details. 




I didn't take too many photos because I was drinking it all in.  It was a terrific tour (lunch was, well, lunch, and that was fine - we don't go to law schools for the fine dining!), and one I would recommend to other aficionados of such period pieces.

No comments: